Despite being busy and poor, we’ve been trying to get out on the town to attend fun and informative events and expand our networks. Last week, we attended A Night at the Cotton Club at the San Diego Symphony and on Tuesday, we attended Be Business Awesome: An Evening With Scott Stratten (aka @Unmarketing). The Be Business Awesome Event was put on by Social Media Club San Diego and hosted by San Diego REP.
Going into the event, Blake had an idea of what to expect since she had listened to a couple of Scott’s webinars ( ”The Business of UnAwesome: How to Avoid the Flipside of Awesome Business” & “The Business of Awesome: How to Make Your Business Boom”) and already had his book, The Book of Business Awesome sitting on her coffee table (even if it was unread). Nicole, on the other hand, was following Blake’s demand that we attend this event and had no idea what to expect.
After getting our complimentary drink, signed books, and forced Scott to get up and take a photo with us, we headed into the event. It was at this point that we noticed Scott was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and mandals that clearly said, “IDGAF” – we even had an intense Twitter debate about the mandals (see the Tweets below).
Here’s a few of our favorite takeaways, in both text and Tweet form:
- Passion + Knowledge=Profit
- The best way to improve your bottom line is through your frontline
- Twitter is a conversation, not a dictation
- Viral=unconditional sharing
- Marketing is not a task
- We don’t define our brand – our customers do
- Hire based on personality, not only the “experience” on a resume (REJOICE fellow new professionals! Scott’s out there spreading the word!)
- Ask customers & clients what your business should “Start, Stop, and Continue”
- It would take 4,500,000 “pigeon craps” to damage a Smart Car’s tridion safety cell*
*Info taken from one of the webinars, see the infographic here
All in all it was a great night and we even got to see our good bud, Katie Rowland!